Ready for CAE p 12. Awards. Listening. Vocabulary

VOCABULARY MULTIPLE CHOICE LISTENING

To turn up: to arrive or appear somewhere, usually unexpectedly or in way that was not planned.

To collect: to go to a place and bring someone or something away from it.

To get a KICK out of sthg: to get a strong feeling of excitement or pleasure. (listen to Frank sinatra on You Tube: I get a kick out of you, by Cole Porter).

Corporate: relating to large companies, or to a particular large company. Eg
Our corporate headquarters are in Madrid.
A powerful group that represents corporate America (=big businesses in the US)

Gig: a single performance.

Mainstream: accepted by most people. Predominante, convencional.

To delete: to erase.

To come close to +-ing: to almost do sthg.

To BREAK a record: The best or fastest ever done. Batir un record.

To put sthg down to sthg else: to attribute.

Up-and-coming: likely to achieve success soon or in the near future. Con mucho futuro, prometedor.

Resounding: complete. Used for emphasizing how successful or unsuccessful someone or something is. Eg a resounding success/victory/defeat

To punch: to hit with one’s fist.

To show off: to behave in a way intended to attract attention or admiration that other people find annoying. Alardear, presumir.

To starve: to become very weak or die, because there is not enough food to eat.

dizzy: feeling as if everything is spinning round and being unable to keep your balance and about to fall down. Mareado.

To be concerned WITH

To have a go: to try.



My story is much to sad to be told
But practically everything leaves me totally cold
The only exception I know is the case
When I’m out on a quiet spree, fighting vainly the old ennui
Then I suddenly turn and see
Your fabulous face

Chorus:

I get no kick from champagne
Mere alcohol doesnt thrill me at all
So tell me why should it be true
That I get a kick out of you

Some like the perfume from Spain
I’m sure that if I took even one sniff
It would bore me terrifically too
But I get a kick out of you

( some like the bop-type refrain )
( Im sure that if, I heard even one riff )
( it would bore me terrifically too )
( but I get a kick out of you )

( some they may go for cocaine )
( Im sure that if, I took even one sniff )
( it would bore me terrifically too )
( but I get a kick out of you )

I get a kick every time I see you standing there before me
I get a kick though its clear to see, you obviously do not adore me

I get no kick in a plane
Flying too high with some gal in the sky
Is my idea of nothing to do
But I get a kick out of you

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.