Speakout Advanced p 21. Unreal Past. Extra Key Word Transformation.

Present/ future reference
1. I'd love to have a motorbike
wish
I _____________________a motorbike.
2. What a shame you are leaving
wish
I __________________ leaving.
3. You are going on holiday next week but unfortunately I am not going.
wish
I __________________ on holiday with you next week.

4. I am sorry but I don't have an extra copy. If I had one, I would gladly give it to you.
If only
____________________an extra copy, I would gladly give it to you.
5. I am not rich. What a pity!
If only
____________________rich.
6. I'd love to earn more money.
If only
____________________more money.

7. Please keep it a secret for the time being.
rather
I___________________a secret.
8.  Would you mind not smoking at table?
rather
I ________________________ at table.
9. My parents would prefer us to live in the country.
rather
My parents ___________________ in the country.

10. She doesn't want to borrow any money from you.
rather
She _____________________ any money from you.
11. I think Jeanne would definitely prefer to have a traditional wedding.
rather
I think Jeanne ____________________________ a traditional wedding.
12. Pauline doesn't want to be given a main part in the school play.
rather
Pauline _______________________  a main part in the school play.

13. Jan thinks we should buy a house and not carry on renting.
sooner
Jan ____________________________________renting.
14. I am not begging in the streets. Do you think it would be better?
sooner
____________________________________ in the streets?
15. To be honest, I'd prefer you not to tell anyone about this.
sooner
To be honest, I _____________________ anyone about this.

16. It's raining outside so I think it is a better idea to watch TV
sooner
It's raining outside, so I __________________________ TV
17.  He doesn't want to talk to her.
sooner
He _________________________ to her.
18. He doesn't want to travel
sooner
He _________________________ travel.

19. I don't think it is a good idea that you go so far.
prefer
I ___________________________ so far
20. Come with us!
love
I ________________ with us.
21. Why don't you join me for a ride? I would love it.
like
I __________________ for a ride.

Past reference
22. We didn't have anything to eat earlier. We should have eaten something.
wish
I ___________________ something to eat earlier.
23. I missed my appointment. I shouldn't have missed it.
wish
I ___________________ my appointment
24. If I had lived in the eighteenth century, I would have been happy
wish
I ___________________ in the eighteenth century.

25. If I hadn't eaten so much, it would have been better for me.
If only
___________________ so much!
26. I'm soaked to the skin! I should have brought an umbrella.
If only
I'm soaked to the skin! ___________________ an umbrella.
27. This pullover was cheap. I should have bought two of them.
If only
This pullover was cheap. __________________  two of them.

 28. Of course I would have preferred you to tell me the truth!
rather
Of course I ___________________________me the truth!
29. We would have preferred them not to have stayed so long, that's true.
rather
We _____________________________________ so long, that's true.
30. He told someone. I didn't like that.
rather
I _______________________ 

31. I wish I hadn't known
rather
I_______________________
32. The dinner was awful. He wishes he hadn't eaten at all.
rather 
The dinner was awful. He ____________________ at all.
33. That was something she wishes she hadn't seen.
rather
That was something she ____________________.  

34. It's a shame she stopped. I wish she had carried on and been very successful.
sooner
It's a shame she stopped. I _____________________________ very successful.
35. I think we shouldn't have stayed so long.
sooner
I _______________________ so long. 
36. You shouldn't have spoken so rudely to him.
sooner
I _______________________so rudely to him.

37. I shouldn't have said anything about it. But I had to
sooner
I ____________________ anything about it. But I had to
38. I should have had a light lunch before the meeting. 
sooner
I _________________ a light lunch before the meeting.  
39. He gave the impression that he wished he had stayed home alone.
sooner
He gave the impression that he ___________________ home alone. 

40. She didn't see the play. She wishes she had seen it.
like
She __________________ the play. 
41. I should have gone to Paris with them. 
love
I ______________________  to Paris with them. 
42. I wish you had won
prefer
I _______________________________

 
KEY
1. I wish I had a motorbike



2. I wish you weren't leaving



3. I wish I was going on holiday with you next week.



4. If only I had an extra copy, I would gladly give it to you.



5. If only I were rich.



6. If only I earned more money.



7. I'd rather you kept it a secret.



8. I'd rather you didn't smoke.



9. My parents would rather we lived in the country.



10. She'd rather not borrow any money from you.



11. I think Jeanne would definitely rather have a traditional wedding.



12. Pauline would rather not be given a main part in the school play.



13. Jan would sooner we bought a house than carried on renting.



14. Would you sooner I was begging in the streets?



15. To be honest, I'd sooner you didn't tell anyone about this.



16. It's raining outside, so I'd sooner watch TV



17. He'd sooner not talk to her.



18. He'd sooner not travel 



19. I'd prefer you not to go so far / I'd prefer it if you didn't go so far 



20. I'd love you to come with us/ I would love it if you came with us 



21. I'd like you to join me for a ride/ I would like it if you joined me for a ride 



22. I wish we had had something to eat earlier.



23. I wish I hadn't missed my appointment. 



24. I wish I had lived in the eighteenth century. 



25. If only I hadn't eaten so much.



26. I'm soaked to the skin! If only I had brought an umbrella.



27. This pullover was cheap. If only I had bought two of them.



28. Of course I'd rather you had told me the truth!



29. We'd rather they hadn't stayed so long, that's true.



30.  I'd rather he hadn't told anyone



31. I'd rather not have known 



32. The dinner was awful. He'd rather not have eaten at all.



33. That was something she would rather not have seen. 



34. It's a shame she stopped. I'd sooner she had carried on and been very successful. 



35. I'd sooner we hadn't stayed so long.  



36. I'd sooner you hadn't spoken so rudely to him. 



37. I'd sooner not have said anything about it. But I had to 



38. I'd sooner have had a light lunch before the meeting. 



39. He gave the impression that he would sooner have stayed home alone  



40. She would like to have seen the play   



41. I would love to have gone to Paris with them. 



42. I would have preferred you to have won. / I would prefer you to have won/  I would have preferred you to win

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.