Speakout Advanced p 72. Keys and Vocabulary

Ex 5A
KEY
1 While



2 Although



Though



3 Difficult though it may be
(Strange as it may seem)



4 Whichever



5 In spite of



6 Despite



7 Whilst


Ex 5C
KEY
In each case, the concession clause is the clause which is introduced by the phrase in italics. The other clause is the main clause.



Ex 5D
KEY

1 a comma



2 the concession clause



3 Despite, In spite of



p 139
Ex 1
KEY
1 whereas



2 as



3 matter



4 whenever



 5 despite



6 spite



7 however (no matter how)



8 although

Ex 2
KEY

1 Despite knowing that it's bad for me, I spend too much time on the Internet.



2 Even though she is nearly ninety-six years old, my grandmother is still fully independent.



3 He's an excellent manager, although he can be a bit scary to work for.



4 Hard as they tried, they couldn't persuade him to give up his work.



5 Whilst I understand how difficult the situation is, I'm afraid I can't help.



6 He's very charming. However, I wouldn't trust him at all.


Ex 6A
KEY
2 I spend a lot of time studying grammar, I still make mistakes, though.
Though I spend a lot of time studying grammar, I still make mistakes.



3 Difficult though it may be, I always try to believe what people tell me.



4 However you look at it, technology is changing education.



5 While I agree that English is important, I think students need to learn several languages.



6 Strange as it may seem, I find it hard to remember facts and figures.



7 Despite the fact that I enjoy travelling, I don't get the opportunity very often.



8 Learning a language is difficult, whichever method you choose.

Ex 7A
hard to come by
come by: manage to acquire or obtain (something). E.g. the remoteness of the region makes accurate information hard to come by. Jobs are hard to come by these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.