A Have a conversation as natural as possible with a partner about the topic. Use the pictures above and the questions below to help you.
1. Do you prefer individual or team sports? Why?
2. Can you give any examples of cases of cheating in professional sports?
3. How would you define the “spirit of the Olympic Games”? Does it still exist?
4. What role do technological advances play in sport?
5. What is the ultimate purpose of sporting activities? Is sport necessary for a healthy lifestyle? Why?
6. Where would you go to get away from your day-to-day routine and what would you do?
7. Do you think an extreme experience weekend might be good for you or for somebody you know?
1. What do you think will be the effects of money-hungry practices on organized sport in the long run?
2. Is there any way to instil and maintain the idea of ‘fair play’ in young children who take part in organized sport?
3. Do professional athletes have a responsibility to be role-models for the young?
1. Is the practice of sports encouraged in your community? How?
2. Doping has become a serious issue in the world of sport. Are doping control tests necessary. Why? Why not?
3. What is your country's most popular spectator sport? Why do you think professional sports are big business?
White water: a part of a river that looks white because the water is moving very fast over rocks. E.g. a stretch of white water. White-water rafting.
ultimate /ˈʌltɪmət/ basic. Fundamental. E.g. the ultimate truths of philosophy and science. We could not trace the ultimate source of the rumours.
instil something (in/into somebody) to gradually make somebody feel, think or behave in a particular way over a period of time. Sp. inculcar. E.g. to instil confidence/ discipline/ fear into somebody
fair play the fact of playing a game or acting honestly, fairly and according to the rules. E.g. a player admired for his sense of fair play. The task of the organization is to ensure fair play when food is distributed to the refugees.
spectator sport a sport that many people watch; a sport that is interesting to watch. E.g. What is the country's most popular spectator sport? Fishing is not really a spectator sport.