Speakout Advanced p 96. Keys and Vocabulary

Ex 6A
KEY
1 B: Yes, I think so.



2 B: I hope not.



3  B: No, but I'll try that one.



4 B: We'll have a little time.



5 B: No. Ann Marie doesn't have enough money and nor do I.



6 B: Yes, I've got lots.


Ex 6B
KEY
1 A: Are you coming to the party?
B: Yes, I think so.



2 A: Did you just delete the file?
B: I hope not.



3 A: Do you want to try this perfume?
B: No, but I'll try that one.



4 A: Do you think we'll have enough time to discuss this later?
B: We'll have a little time.



5 A: Are you going away on holiday this year?
B: No. Ann Marie doesn't have enough money and nor do I.



6 A: Are you sure you've got enough copies for everyone? B: Yes, I've got lots.


Ex 7
KEY
Student A
1 Have you ever been to China? - b



2. I don't know why I can't get this camera to work. - c



3. I love olives. - d



4. Have they nearly finished? - e



5. What's that? It looks wonderful.- a



Student B
1. Have you been in the job for long? - c



2. Are you sure she's coming today? - a



3. Someone called you earlier and left a message. - d



4. Do you want a tea or coffee? - e



5. Did you see the film last night? - b


Ex 8A
KEY
1. This place holds lots of memories for us.



2. When I hear those old songs it brings back a lot of memories.



3. It's one of my earliest memories.



4. I have very vague memories of my time at primary school.



5. I only have a very hazy recollection of what my grandparents' house looked like.
hazy: /ˈheɪzi/ not clear because of a lack of memory, understanding or detail. Vague. E.g.
a hazy memory/idea. What happened next is all very hazy.



6. It was a long time ago, but I remember it vividly



7. I remember her dress distinctly. It was blue with a red belt.



8. Every time I go there, the memories come flooding back.

flood: (of feeling/thought) to affect somebody suddenly and strongly. E.g. A great sense of relief flooded over him. Memories of her childhood came flooding back. Flood somebody with something The words flooded him with self-pity.



Ex 8B
KEY
Not strong: vague, hazy

Very strong: distinctly, vividly, flooding 



p 155
2A
KEY
1. Nothing springs to mind.



2. a once-in-a-lifetime experience.



3. a (real) day to remember.



4. it's on the tip of my tongue.



5. I can't for the life of me remember

for the life of you however hard you try. E.g. I cannot for the life of me imagine why they want to leave. For the life of me, I can't figure this out. I can't for the life of me climb up a mountain. I know I filed it somewhere but I can't for the life of me remember where.



6. I clean forgot 

clean (adv) completely. E.g. I clean ​forgot that I was ​supposed to be ​meeting Lucy last ​night. He's been ​cheating his ​customers for ​years, and getting clean away with it. The ​bullet went clean through his ​shoulder.
The thief got clean away. I clean forgot about calling him.



7. That's going back  (it was a long time ago)

go back: if two people go back a particular period of time, they have known each other for that period of time. E.g. We go back a long time, don’t we? Dave and I go back twenty years. We go back a long way (Sp. nos conocemos desde hace mucho). My memories don't go back so far (Sp. mis recuerdos no se remontan tan lejos). It goes back to Elizabeth I (Sp. se remonta a Isabel I). The controversy goes back to 1929 (Sp. la controversia se remonta a 1929).



8. I remember it like it was yesterday.



9. I've had a complete memory lapse
lapse /læps small mistake, especially one that is caused by forgetting something or by being careless. E.g. a lapse of concentration/memory. A momentary /ˈməʊməntri/ lapse in the final set cost her the match.



10. It's etched on my memory.

be etched on your heart/memory/mind: if something is etched on your memory, you remember it because it has made a strong impression on you. E.g. it is etched on my memory forever (Sp. lo tengo grabado para siempre en mi memoria)

Ex 2B
KEY 
Remembering/forgetting: 1, 4, 5, 6, 8, 9, 10


Past experiences: 2, 3, 7, 8



Ex 2C

KEY
a)  

It's etched on my memory.
I remember it like it was yesterday.



b) 

a (real) day to remember.
a once-in-a-lifetime experience.



c)

it's on the tip of my tongue.



d)

I clean forgot   
I can't for the life of me remember

e)

That's going back  


Ex 9A
hazy: /ˈheɪzi/ not clear because of a lack of memory, understanding or detail. Vague. E.g.
a hazy memory/idea. What happened next is all very hazy.

blur: something that you cannot remember clearly. E.g. The events of that day were just a blur. My childhood is just a hazy blur. 

milestonea very important stage or event in the development of something. Sp. hito. E.g. This voyage marked an important milestone in the history of exploration. Today we have passed another milestone on the road towards peace. The discovery of penicillin was a milestone in medical history.

Visit the website and watch some samples:
http://www.talkingmemories.com/

Ex 9B
A word web:

Ex 10A
Vocabulary

on end: for the stated length of time, without stopping. E.g. He would disappear for weeks on end. We would play for hours on end. 
 
sap: the substance that carries food through a plant.

feast (on something): to eat a large amount of food, with great enjoyment. E.g. We sat in the yard feasting on barbecued chicken and beer.

crunchy: (especially of food) firm and crisp and making a sharp sound when you bite or crush it. E.g. a crunchy salad.

turn into: to become something. E.g. Our dream holiday turned into a nightmare. In one year she turned from a problem child into a model student.

signpost: a sign at the side of a road giving information about the direction and distance of places. E.g. Follow the signposts to the superstore.

redesign something to design something again, in a different way. E.g. The old Empire Theatre is being completely redesigned and refurbished.

lush: (of plants, gardens, etc.) growing thickly and strongly in a way that is attractive; covered in healthy grass and plants. 

beckon: to give somebody a signal using your finger or hand, especially to tell them to move nearer or to follow you. E.g. He beckoned to the waiter to bring the bill. He beckoned her over with a wave. The boss beckoned him into her office. She beckoned him to come and join them.

flood: (of feeling/thought) to affect somebody suddenly and strongly. E.g. A great sense of relief flooded over him. Memories of her childhood came flooding back. Flood somebody with something The words flooded him with self-pity. Just standing in the field brought all the memories of my grandmother and our life there flooding back to me.

bark: the outer layer of a tree.

resist: to stop yourself from having something you like or doing something you very much want to do. E.g. I finished the cake. I couldn't resist it. I found the temptation to miss the class too hard to resist. Eric couldn’t resist a smile when she finally agreed. resist doing something He couldn't resist showing off his new car.

sprint: to run or swim a short distance very fast. E.g. Three runners sprinted past.

KEY
1. Because the writer had special memories of playing in the tree with her cousins as a child.



2. I became a doctor's surgery
 
Ex 10B
KEY

The writer follows all the advice. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.