Speakout Advanced p 98. Keys and Vocabulary

Warm up
Do you have enough leisure time?
What things would you like to have more time for in your life?
Do you have less leisure time nowadays than when you were younger? Why (not)?

Ex 1
time-waster: a person or an activity that wastes time. E.g.  Ambulance service managers say that time-wasters are holding up genuine emergency calls. One of the biggest time-wasters I can think of involves trying to remember or find a username and password for a particular website.

Ex 2A
KEY
all the time in the world: an unlimited amount of time. E.g. She made me feel as if she had all the time in the world for me, even though she's very busy.

1 pushed
pushed/pressed for time: needing time; in a hurry. E.g.  If I weren't so pressed for time, I could help you. I can't talk to you. I'm too pushed for time. Can't talk to you now. I'm pressed for time.



3 hands
have time on your hands, have time to kill: (informal) to have nothing to do or not be busy.  E.g. Gina has some time on her ​hands, so she is taking a ​college ​course. We've got some time to ​kill before we ​leave - do you ​want to have some ​coffee.




4 to
time to yourself: E.g. It can be a good thing to have time to yourself. If you have time to yourself, what do you choose to do?


5 the
pass something to spend time, especially when you are bored or waiting for something. E.g. We sang songs to pass the time. How did you pass the evening?



in
in time: punctual. Early enough. E.g. We got to the airport just in time. I got ​home just in time - it's ​starting to ​rain. We got there in plenty of time (= we ​arrived early) for the ​beginning of the ​game.



spare
with time to spare: earlier than necessary. E.g. We got to the airport with time to spare.
spare: to make something such as time or money available.

Ex 3
time-saver: something that reduces the time spent or required to do something. 

tantrum: a sudden short period of angry, unreasonable behaviour, especially in a child. E.g. to have/throw a tantrum. Children often have temper tantrums at the age of two or thereabouts.

traipse: /treɪps/ to walk somewhere slowly when you are tired and unwilling. E.g. We spent the afternoon traipsing around the town. I’m not traipsing all that way just to see your sister.

Ex 4A
shortcut:: 1. a quicker or shorter way of getting to a place. E.g. You can take a shortcut across the field. 2. a way of doing something that is quicker than the usual way. E.g. There are no shortcuts to economic recovery. There are no shortcuts when it comes to fitness.

KEY 
read only the conclusion
phone first
divide up your day
bring in an expert
use the microwave
make lists
read the instructions first

Ex 4B
1 T



2 T



3 T



4 F (but she thinks it would be a good idea)



5 F (she thinks it's a good idea)



6 F (but he does say that making all your phone calls at once saves time)


Ex 5A 
KEY
Acknowledging an idea:

Right, OK.

Sure.

Yeah.

That's a good idea.

Makes sense.

Exactly.

I am with you there.

That's very true.

Absolutely.

Good one.



Introducing an alternative:

Mind you, ... 
mind (you): used to add something to what you have just said, especially something that makes it less strong. Having said that. E.g. I've heard they're getting divorced. Mind you, I'm not surprised—they were always arguing. The meal was fantastic -- expensive, mind you! He can be very disorganized. Mind you, I'm no better. He's very ​untidy about the ​house; mind you, I'm not much ​better. I ​know I'm ​lazy - I did go ​swimming ​yesterday, mind.

Yeah but I mean ...


Ex 5B
KEY
Acknowledging an idea:




Definitely.

I know what you mean.

I never thought of that.

Introducing an alternative:

But looking at it another way, ...

Alternatively, ...

(Although) having said that, ...

On the other hand, ...

Yes and no.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.